Welcome!

Welcome to our blog. Enjoy the chaos that is our family, with our two boys, Robbie (5) and Scottie (3.5), and our baby girl, Allie (1). Thanks for checking in as we learn, grow and laugh a lot!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Robbie, the Reader

Last night, I took Robbie upstairs to go to bed. As he's brushing his teeth, he sees the flashlight we keep in the medicine cabinet for emergencies (and sometimes for reading books to Robbie after Scottie is asleep). He asks, "Mommy, can I have a book tonight?" I tell him, of course, he can.

"Actually, Mommy, can I read the book tonight? And can I use the flashlight to do it? I know which book I want to do. I can read "Little Jack Horner" all by myself the right way."

So, we get him tucked in and he says his prayers and I get the book. (These are little 5-page nursery rhyme board books we have from a whole set.) I'm thinking he'll say all the words and then flip the pages and talk about the pictures, like he usually does.

But he takes the flashlight in one hand and the book in his lap and uses the flashlight to follow the words across the page. He turns the pages all at the right time, and said every word correctly. I was just so proud! I know he's not "reading" it yet, but I love this pre-reading stage. It's so cute and he's so excited about learning to read!

When he finished, I told him how proud I am of him and he said, "Maybe someday I can read ALL of our books the right way, Mommy!" Love this kid!

Here's a little taste of him "reading" to all of us last week when we had my parents over for dinner. "Green Eggs and Ham" is another favorite and Robbie did the ENTIRE BOOK for us like this. It was so cute!!



And we can't leave out Scottie. His favorite book before bed is Sandra Boynton's "Snoozers". It's a collection of bedtime stories with the silly Boynton rhymes. Here's Scottie reading us his version of "Pajamas" from that book:

1 comment:

Robin (aka Mommy) said...

That's awesome! We're fans of Sandra Boynton too! :)

Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five